Opening in 2023
For the first time in our history, we’re extending our presence beyond Canberra and opening a new Alice Springs facility in partnership with First Nations Media Australia.
Our new facility in Central Australia will provide culturally-appropriate digitisation and storage capacity along with local training opportunities.
The facility will also enable local preservation of community-held collection materials and increased preservation and repatriation of Indigenous collections and cultural information.
'Communities and individuals will have increased capability to revitalise their languages and to promote better understanding of the living cultures and heritage of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians.’
Craig Ritchie, AIATSIS CEO
- Search the AIATSIS Collection.
- Visit or make an appointment to view digital collection materials.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people can order up to 20 free copies per year of material from the AIATSIS Collection.
- Opportunities for hands-on training in cultural heritage digitisation and collection management in conjunction with educational partners.
- Support for communities to preserve their locally held collections.
Learning and research
- Explore our exhibition space and learn about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures in all their diversity.
- Undertake research on these cultures, including family history.
AIATSIS Alice Springs is supported with funding from the Northern Territory Government and is being delivered in partnership with First Nations Media Australia.
First Nations Media Australia
First Nations Media Australia is the peak body for First Nations not-for-profit broadcasting, media and communications.