The Stanner Reading Room and Client Access rooms will be closed from Monday 11 to Friday 15 December 2023 to complete a full stocktake of print and published resources.
We apologise for any inconvenience and hope that you can plan a visit to access our collection outside of this period. We encourage you to contact us by submitting an on online Request Collection Access form.
Some material in the AIATSIS Collection is culturally sensitive and may only be made available to the appropriate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people or those that have permission.
Our access and use policy sets out the conditions under which the collection may be accessed. You may also find our guide to obtaining copies of items in the Collection useful.
If you're looking for a specific collection item or for more information on a subject, you can delve deeper into our collection by using our many guides, finding aids and databases.
There is no charge to view collection items or use research aids on site at AIATSIS. Other access to or use of collection items may attract a fee.
Our staff can help you find information in the AIATSIS& Collection, including:
- Helping you to find collection items of interest.
- Providing specialist advice and information about using the Collection.
- Helping you to locate other research avenues and sources of information.
Unfortunately, we cannot:
- Provide answers to specific research or assignment questions.
- Provide advice on personal, medical, financial or legal matters.
- Conduct research for clients, including family history research however our family history team can help you to undertake the research yourself; our Family History Kit can help with the basics to start tracing your Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage.
Accessing items in the Collection
Find out about viewing and accessing items in the AIATSIS Collection.