AIATSIS is an Australian Government statutory authority established under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013. We sit within the portfolio of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet and our responsible minister is The Hon Ken Wyatt AM, MP, Minister for Indigenous Affairs. .
AIATSIS is a Commonwealth statutory authority which operates under the:
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies Act 1989 as amended by the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies Amendment Act 2016.
- Public Governance, Performance and Accountability (PGPA) Act 2013
- PGPA Rule 2014
- Public Service Act 1999
Under the Act, the Council may:
- Appoint members who have a demonstrated interest in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies.
- Make rules to assist with the conduct of the Institute.
The AIATSIS Council is responsible for ensuring proper and efficient performance across all of our functions.
The Senior Executive Board ensures the transition of Council directives through to the business plans of AIATSIS programs.
Collections Services Group
- Collection Development and Management
- Collection Services
- Preservation and Digitisation
Research and Education Group
- Indigenous Culture and Heritage
- Indigenous Country and Governance
- Indigenous Research Exchange
- Ethics and Research Leadership
Return of Cultural Heritage
- Return of Cultural Heritage
Strategy and Operations Group
- Business Innovation and Partnerships
- Business Services
- Communications, Marketing, Public Program and Publishing
- Executive Support
- People, Facilities and Security