The AIATSIS research ethics framework is structured around four principles:
- Indigenous self-determination
- Indigenous leadership
- Impact and value
- Sustainability and accountability.
At the centre of these principles is the core ethical value of integrity and acting in the right spirit, as outlined below in the ethical foundations.
Each principle gives rise to responsibilities that are elaborated under the following headings:
- recognition and respect
- engagement and collaboration
- informed consent
- cultural capability and learning
- Indigenous led research
- Indigenous perspectives and participation
- Indigenous knowledge and data
- benefit and reciprocity
- impact and risk
- Indigenous land and waters
- ongoing Indigenous governance
- reporting and compliance.