Our membership network is a unique part of our organisation's structure.
As an AIATSIS member, you can be a part of a network involved in all aspects of Indigenous Australian knowledge and culture. Whether you are interested in research, archiving or finding out more about Aboriginal and Torres Strait peoples, becoming a member is a great way to contribute your expertise to help AIATSIS’ future and be a part of a community committed to preserving, strengthening and sharing Indigenous knowledge.
Members play an important part in shaping the AIATSIS Council. As a member you are able to nominate for election to Council as well as vote in the Council election. Membership appointments are for a five year period, after which reappointment is considered automatically unless you resign in writing.
2021 Council member election
The 2021 AIATSIS Council member election is currently underway to fill vacancies of the four elected members of the AIATSIS Council.
If you are an AIATSIS member and have not received any voting correspondence, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure your contact details are up to date and to participate in the election.
|Monday 18 January||Nominations open|
|Monday 8 February||Nominations close|
|Monday 15 February||If a ballot is necessary, voting will open|
|Monday 8 March||Voting closes|
|Thursday 11 March||Outcome of election made public|
|Monday 17 May||Newly elected Council members commence|
Benefits of AIATSIS membership
- Cost - Free;
- Stand for election to the AIATSIS Council and/or vote in the Council elections;
- Keep up to date with news at AIATSIS by receiving regular e-newsletters and invitations to events;
- Receive a 25% discount on most AIATSIS publications, the biennial AIATSIS conference and other AIATSIS public programs;
- Receive an AIATSIS membership card; and
- When in Canberra, borrow books overnight from the Institute library.
Becoming a member
To become a member, applicants must submit a membership application form. The AIATSIS Council assess and appoint members who must meet at least one of the below criteria and can demonstrate their interest in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and heritage.
Successful applicants are granted membership for a period of five years. After which, you will be contacted by the membership officer about the process for reappointment as a member of AIATSIS.
Criteria for membership
Applicants must meet at least one of the following criteria to be considered for membership:
Significant involvement (five or more years) in one or more of the following:
- Participation or employment in an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander community or cultural organisation;
- Involvement in research, teaching or study related to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ culture and heritage; or
- Participation, including employment, in activities related to the collection, management, preservation and custodianship of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ culture and heritage.
How to apply for membership
To apply for membership, download and complete the membership application form. Then, send your completed application form:
- by email to email@example.com
- by post to Membership Officer, AIATSIS, GPO Box 553, Canberra, ACT 2601
Update Contact Information
To update your contact information please complete the membership contact update form and return via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
email@example.com or phone (02) 6129 3930