Thank you for your interest in working at AIATSIS. This short guide will make sure that you have the best possible chance of success in your application.
- Read the selection documentation carefully. This will consist of an application pack that outlines the role and our ideal candidate. This information will give you an understanding of the sort of work involved and AIATSIS’ expectations of the person who will eventually fill the position.
- If you have questions about the position or require further information, contact the contact officer listed in the position documentation.
- Your application should be a succinct summary referring to our ideal candidate. All applications will be assessed in relation to this. If you don't provide this your application may not be considered. .
- All positions within AIATSIS are Identified Positions meaning all employees must display a level of cultural competence appropriate to the role. It is critical that you address the cultural capability requirements outlined in the application pack as these requirements carry more weight.
- Some positions may be advertised as an Affirmative Measures position. This means that only Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people may apply for the position. Applicants may be required to provide proof of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent. There are a number of resources to assist you to confirm your Indigenous heritage:
- If you are unfamiliar with applying for jobs in the Australian Public Service, the following Australian Public Service Commission resource may be useful – Cracking the Code: How to apply for jobs in the Australian Public Service
- You should also familiarise yourself with the APS Code of Conduct and APS Values. Successful applicants will be required to abide by the Code of Conduct and Values.
- If you are unfamiliar with AIATSIS and our employment conditions, read about us on our website and consult our current Enterprise Agreement. For those without internet access, please contact our recruitment team to request a copy of the Enterprise Agreement.
- Before you submit your application, it is a good idea to get another person to read through it. You need to make sure that it convincingly explains your claims against our Ideal Candidate, covers what you have actually done, and provides evidence of your suitability for the position. It needs to be clear, accurate and concise, and the information you have supplied needs to be relevant to this.
- Your application should also include a resume or curriculum vitae (CV) setting out your qualifications, education, work history and other details which you think are relevant to the position.
- You must include the name and contact details of two referees (there is provision for this in the application cover sheet). It is preferable that one of the referees is your current supervisor. A referee should be able to provide comments on your work performance against the role you are applying for.
- You may be required to provide written referee reports with your application or at interview. If they are required with your application, this will be specified in the job advertisement. Speak to our recruitment team and ask them to send you a copy of the Referee Report Form with the Application Pack.
If your application arrives late it may not be accepted. If you find that you have difficulty meeting the closing date, please contact the contact officer before the closing date and discuss your reasons for the delay. Receipt of your application will be acknowledged.
Your application should include:
- A completed application form.
- A resume or curriculum vitae (CV) including your:
- work history.
- Your succinct summary (no more than 1550 words) outlining your skills, knowledge and experience demonstrating why you should be considered for this role.
Submitting your application
Once your application contains all of the above, you will need to send it to AIATSIS by the closing date specified in the advertisement.
GPO Box 553
Canberra ACT 2601
Once your application has been received, you will be sent an email acknowledging that it has been received.
If your application arrives late it may not be considered; make sure you check the closing date on the position description.
If you have difficulty meeting the closing date, please call the contact officer on the position documentation before the closing date to discuss the possibility of submitting a late application.
Selection is based on merit and the selection process may include an assessment of your written application, an interview and referee comments. The selection methods may vary and may include a written or work sample test.
If you are uncertain of the progress of your application, please phone or email the contact officer for an update.
Selection panels at AIATSIS generally consist of three people. Each selection panel has at least one Indigenous person, one male and one female.