Requesting information or documents
We make a range of information available for public access. Most requests for information or copies of documents can be dealt with informally and quickly. A phone call or email may be all that is needed.
Freedom of information
You can formally request information that we hold under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act).
The FOI Act gives any person the right to:
- access copies of documents (except exempt documents)
- ask for information held about you to be changed or annotated if it is incomplete, out of date, incorrect or misleading
- seek a review of our decision refusing you access to a document or to amend your personal record
You can ask to see any document held at AIATSIS. However, we can refuse your request to access some documents, or parts of documents, that are exempt. These may include documents:
- relating to national security
- containing material obtained in-confidence
- Cabinet documents
- covering other matters set out in the FOI Act
Except where material is exempt, or inappropriate to publish because it is personal information, all material released under Freedom of Information is published on our disclosure log below.
How to make a freedom of information request
Your request must:
- be in writing (including email)
- state that the request is an application for the purposes of the FOI Act
- provide information about the document(s) you wish to access so that we can process your request
- provide an address for reply
You can email your request firstname.lastname@example.org, or post it to:
Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
GPO Box 553
Canberra ACT 2601
There is no application fee for an FOI request and there are no processing fees when requesting access to documents containing only your personal information. However, processing fees may apply to other requests. If this is the case, we will provide you with a quote for the fees before we proceed.
AIATSIS is required by the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (section 11C) to publish a disclosure log on its website. The Disclosure Log lists information which has been released in response to an FOI access request.
The Disclosure Log requirement does not apply to:
- Personal information about any person if publication of that information would be ‘unreasonable’.
- Information about the business, commercial, financial or professional affairs of any person if publication of that information would be ‘unreasonable’.
- Other information covered by a determination made by the Australian Information Commissioner if publication of that information would be ‘unreasonable’.
- Any information if it is not reasonably practicable to publish the information because of the extent of modifications that would need to be made to delete the information listed in the above dot points.
|Tabular report displaying completion dates of Fraud Risk Assessment and fraud compliance with s10(a)(b) and (d) of the PGPA Rule.||13/5/21||Tabular report listing dates (PDF, 416KB)|
|Copies of all documents relating to Dr Howard’s application and appointment as a research fellow at AIATSIS.||16/6/20||Due to the file sizes, 14 sets of documents were provided via secure link. The documents may be made available on request. Charges may be applied.|
Request for documents relating to family history.
|26/07/2019||No documents were located.|
|26/06/2019||Information relating to leave requests and access to personnel file.||30/07/2019||Personal Information – documents not published.|
Request for information and documentation in respect to the history of use of the land being Lot 11, 115,116 on SP248418, title reference respectively 51067145, 51067249 and 51067250.
|No documents were located.|
|Request for communications between AIATSIS and ILC related to Dawn Casey letter to PM of 27/5/15 re purchase of Ayers Rock Resort.||
No documents were located.
Request for financial delegations, human resources delegations and agency agreement in effect between January 2013 and March 2014.
|20/03/2014||Request for documents in relation to an individual’s employment with AIATSIS.||19/05/2014||Personal Information - documents not published|
|28/01/2014||Request for correspondence between the AIATSIS Chairperson and the Prime Minister during the period 8 September 2013 to 20 January 2014.||31/01/2014||No documents were found|
|23/10/2013||Request for information relating to an employment selection process.||21/11/2013||Personal Information - documents not published.|