We can help you to research your family history. Our collections have information about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander individuals, families, communities and places. This section of our website contains a wide range of resources to help you with your research.
- Beginning your search – tips and tricks on doing family history research
- About names – how to search for people who may have many names with many spellings
- Understanding the barriers – why you may not find what you're looking for
Use our index and catalogue to search for your family.
- About the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Biographical Index (ABI)
- Do an ABI name search
- Search our Mura® Collections catalogue.
Records and sources
- Family history kit – printable fact sheets that will help you to find your mob
- Brief guide – an overview of Indigenous family history research resources
- Research resources for family history – comprehensive information on research resources
Stolen Generations and Link-Ups
- Members of the Stolen Generations – see Link-Up services for contact details.
- Link-Up caseworkers or researchers – go to the Link-Up login page.
Proof of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage
If you need help with Proof or Confirmation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander heritage see:
- Confirmation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage
- Proof of Aboriginality or Torres Strait Islander Heritage
- phone your local Indigenous Coordination Centre - they will connect you with your local land council
- find land councils and other Indigenous community organisations by using the 'Search for a corporation' box on the Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations website.