The W. E. H. Stanner Collection - Survey of Rock Art Sites
Closed access – Library Director’s permission (A2) ; Closed copying &
quotation Principal and/or Depositor’s permission (Bl)
Scope and Content Note
Date range: 1952, 1957-1960
Extent: 1 box original - do not issue; 1 box preservation copy – issue according to
Fitzmaurice River field notebooks, sketch books,
photographs, and associated material. Survey of rock art sites.
See MS 3752 finding aid for biographical details.
BOX 1 (reference copy)
- Letter to W.E.H. Stanner. Signed: H. Clements, dated Melbourne, 25
May 1957, and 3 maps, with sketches. 4p. Holograph.
- Diary of first visit to Fitzmaurice River. 11 April - 26 May 1958.
Holograph notebook, with sketches (pt. col.) and diags. 188p.
Part 1 (11/4/58 - 5/5/58; p. 1-90); Part 2 (5/5/58 - 26/5/58; p. 91-188)
- Diary of second visit to Fitzmaurice River. Kirindjingin trip, 3
July –  Aug. 1959. Holograph notebook, with sketches, and diags. 124
p.; 2 p. (inverted) at end. P. 110-11, holograph note, dated 30 Aug. 1974,
Part 1 (p. 1-69); Part 2 ( p. 70-124)
- Paiyinimbi, 1958 - lists of drawings. Holograph notebook with
sketches, and notes. 79p.. (p. 31-44 blank); 3p. towards end (p.2 - 3
- Paiyinimbi, 1958. Holograph sketchbook, with notes. 19p.; 2p.inserted inside cover. 6p. (inverted): Port Keats, NT, 1952.
- Paiyinimbi, 1958. Holograph sketchbook. 5p. (col.); 1 leaf at end
(inverted) with holograph notes.
Back to Top
- Kirindjingin, 1959. Holograph sketchbook. 14p. (pt. col.). Leaf
1: Scale drawing of cave at Kirindjingin, dated 14 July 1959.
- Map of the Darwin area (Darwin 3109) RAAF edition used on visits
to the Fitzmaurice River. 1 sheet.
- Transcript of diary: First visit to Fitzmaurice River, 11 April -
July 1958. 37p. Typescript. Final entry in diary dated 26 May 1958.
- Transcript of diary: Second visit to Fitzmaurice River, diary of
Kirindjingin trip, 3 July –  Aug. 1959. 31p. Typescript.
- The Fitzmaurice River rock paintings. 17p. Typescript (pt.carbon).
Dated 30 Sept. 1958. Lecture given at University House, Canberra.
- The Fitzmaurice River caves and shelters. Dated Pan-Pacific
Women's Association, 23 Feb. 1960. 5p.Typescript (carbon). Notes to
accompany slides. 6p. (carbon). Lecture given to the Pan-Pacific Women's
- Holograph notes outlining research work, 1952-8, possibly for a
lecture on his discoveries, and the procedures followed in collecting
information. 4p., with sketch.
Back to Top
Guide compiled by J. Seccombe 2001