This project explores how young Indigenous people are engaging, participating and designing pathways to emerge into governance and policy making spaces in their communities, regions and states or territories.
This project is a research partnership between the Native Title Research Unit (NTRU) at AIATSIS, the Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research (CAEPR), and the Macquarie Law School. It represents the next stage in a program of work that has previously included the Youth Forums at the National Native Title Conference, the Youth Engagement in Native Title project (September 2017-June 2018), and the Indigenous Youth in Governance Masterclass (November 2018 and June 2019).
The earlier program of work focused on the experiences of young people in relation to native title and governance. This project will involve working with specific native title organisations and peak bodies to explore how Indigenous youth are participating and engaging in their native title organisations and larger political processes.
The aim of this research is to fill the gap in the literature by conducting qualitative research with groups of Indigenous young people, as well as with Elders and community leaders. The data collected will provide a clearer picture of the forums where Indigenous youth are being heard and listened to, and expose opportunities to increase Indigenous youth participation in a range of governance activities. The research also aims to identify effective youth engagement models and succession structures currently being utilised in Indigenous organisations and communities across the country and to highlight these as best practice examples.
Presentations and events
- Stacey Little, Bhiamie Williamson, ‘Youth Engagement in Native Title’, AIATSIS Indigenous Research Conference 2019
- Indigenous Youth in Governance Masterclass 2019
- Indigenous Youth in Governance Masterclass 2018
- Bhiamie Williamson & Stacey Little, ‘What do young fellas reckon? Exploring the experiences of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander youth in native title’, Land, Rights, Laws: Issues in Native Title, vol 6.6
- Stacey Little & Thaarramali Pearson, Report on the Indigenous Youth Forum, AIATSIS Research Publications