A guide on searching our Mura® Collections catalogue for material on Australian use of plants for food and medicine.
How do I find items relating to Indigenous Australian use of Plants for Food and Medicines in the AIATSIS Collections?
Go to the Mura® Collections catalogue and use some of the following search terms:
- "Indigenous Knowledge – Health and medicine"
- "Indigenous Knowledge – Botany"
- "Medicinal Plants – Australia"
- "Health Treatments - Traditional"
You can refine your search by:
- Browsing the AIATSIS thesauri for relevant terms
- Place Name, for example: Northern New South Wales
- Language or People Name, for example: Muruwari / Murrawarri people
To find if a library near you has the item search Trove.
Where can I find online resources for Indigenous Australian use of plants for Food and Medicines?
There are a number of free websites and subscription databases containing online material, some full-text, for Indigenous Australian Bush Foods. Highlights include:
- Bush Products and Local Foods Network
- Aboriginal bush tucker hunting
- Bushtucker in the Top End
- Bushfoods of New South Wales
- Aboriginal plant use in south-eastern Australia
- Traditional Uses of Australian Native Plants
GPO Box 553, Canberra, ACT 2601
P: 02 6246 1182