Good decision-making and effective dispute management are essential skills for both Indigenous people and communities and those who work with them. Native title and the new whole of government approach, with its emphasis on shared responsibility and regional participation, has seen an increasing emphasis on negotiation and agreement making. This, in turn, has led to a greater use of processes such as mediation and facilitation in order to support the sound decision-making of Indigenous groups and communities.
The Indigenous Facilitation and Mediation Project (IFaMP) has worked with Native Title Representative Bodies (NTRBs) to discuss issues in relation to decision-making and dispute management and to identify related training needs.
This resource has been developed to provide useful, easy to read, up-to-date training information primarily to NTRBs. However it is also relevant to all organisations and departments working with Indigenous peoples. Given the importance of vocational pathways, a key focus of this resource is nationally accredited training.
Part One provides information about:
- nationally accredited training and the Australian Qualifications Framework
- organisations to contact to obtain advice about training
- possible sources of funding for training programs
- the Commonwealth Government’s New Apprenticeship (traineeship) Scheme
- nationally accredited qualifications that best fit with the twenty priority training areas relating to Indigenous decision-making and dispute management processes.
Part Two provides information about training providers:
- names of Registered Training Organisations which deliver nationally accredited qualifications and contain units relevant to Indigenous decision-making and dispute management processes.
- details and contacts for a range of training providers who may offer training related to the twenty key training priority areas identified by IFaMP in Indigenous decision-making and dispute management processes and who could possibly partner with an RTO to offer full qualifications if requested.