On 9 December 1994, a group of 12 Yankunytatjara and Pitjantjatjara or Antikirinya people made application to the Federal Court of Australia for a determination of native title on behalf of themselves and others who are Nguraritja people. The native title claim was over 1865 square kilometres of land which was subject to three perpetual pastoral leases granted at various times and collectively known as De Rose Hill Station. De Rose Hill is adjacent to the Anangu Pitjantjatjara Aboriginal freehold lands in the far north west of South Australia. The traditional owners had all left the station property, the last to leave being Mr Peter De Rose in 1978. The parties to the case and the subsequent appeal were the native title claimants (the claimants), the State of South Australia (the state) and the proprietary limited company that held the leases (the Fullers).