National Family History Month is held in Australia every August, but at the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS) we have visitors researching their own family history throughout the year.
Some visitors have been disconnected from their family and community and many are affected by the Stolen Generations. AIATSIS can help the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community to research their Indigenous family history.
AIATSIS’ collections have information about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander individuals, families, communities and places. Our trained staff can also show you how to use other sources of information to find your family.
To celebrate National Family History Month, AIATSIS will hold two Indigenous family history research sessions to help you with your research:
- Monday 27th August from 9.30 am – 11:00 am in the AIATSIS Reading Room
- Wednesday 29th August from 12:00 pm – 1.30 pm in the AIATSIS Reading Room
Bookings are essential for both sessions.
To register your interest for sessions at AIATSIS please email Familyhistory@aiatsis.gov.au or call 1800 352 553.
You don’t need to be in Canberra to take advantage of some of the resources available through AIATSIS. We have a wealth of resources available through the Finding your family section of our website, including a step-by-step guide on how to do Indigenous family history research.
We’ve also provided:
- A toolkit with worksheets and checklists
- A list of resources that help identify where to find different types of information
- A comprehensive contact list for state based resources
- Our own Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Biographical Index (ABI) and Mura catalogue.
Commsmedia@aiatsis.gov.au or 02 6246 1605