To celebrate National Family History Month, AIATSIS is holding an Indigenous family history research session.
National Family History Month is held in Australia every August, but at AIATSIS we have visitors researching their own family history throughout the year.
Some visitors have been disconnected from their family and community and many are affected by the Stolen Generations. AIATSIS can help the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community to research their Indigenous family history.
The AIATSIS Collection has information about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander individuals, families, communities and places. Our trained staff can also show you how to use other sources of information to find your family.
Bookings are essential.
To register your interest for the session please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1800 352 553.
If you're not able to visit AIATSIS in Canberra, we have a range of online resources available.
- Finding your family, including a step-by-step guide on how to do Indigenous family history research.
- A toolkit with worksheets and checklists.
- A list of resources that help identify where to find different types of information.
- A comprehensive contact list for state based resources.
- Our own Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Biographical Index (ABI) and Mura catalogue.