The Reading Room is open to the general public from 10am to 1pm weekdays. Please make an appointment in advance to access collection material between 9:30am and 4:30pm weekdays.
Please complete this form if you would like to access AIATSIS collection material or make an appointment.
The AIATSIS collection holds both published and unpublished materials in a varitey of formats. The collection also holds materials that are considered culturally sensitive that may only be made available to the appropriate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people or those that have permission.
Please read our Access and Use policy which set out the conditions under which the collection may be accessed.
To use the collection you can:
- search the collection
- request access to collection items
- request copies of collection items for Indigenous individuals or community
- visit our Reading Room to view / listen to collection items and conduct research
- request access to items through the Native Title Research and Access Service, or
- view our collection online exhibitions
There is no charge to view collection items or use research aids on site at AIATSIS. Other access to or use of collection items may attract a fee.
Our client services and access staff can help you find information within our collections. This includes:
- assisting you with finding collection items of your interest
- providing specialist advice and information about using the collection
- helping you to locate other research avenues and sources of information
Unfortunately, we cannot:
- conduct research for clients, including family history research. Our Family History Kit can help with the basics to start tracing your Aboriginal and / or Torres Strait Islander heritage
- provide answers to specific research or assignment questions
- provide advice on personal, medical, financial or legal matters