A guide on searching our Mura® Collections Catalogue for material on Indigenous Australian Astronomy
How do I find items relating to Indigenous Australian Astronomy in the AIATSIS Collections?
Go to our Mura® Collections Catalogue and use some of the following search terms:
- "Astronomy, Aboriginal Australian"
- "Indigenous Knowledge – Astronomy"
- "Stories and motifs - Celestial phenomena – Event"
- "Stories and motifs – Stars"
- "Archaeoastronomy – Australia"
- "Ethnoastronomy – Australia"
You can refine your search by:
- Browsing the AIATSIS thesauri for relevant terms
- Place Name, for example: Tae Rak / Lake Condah
- Language or People Name, for example: Gunditjmara / Gurndidy / Dhaurwurd-Wurrung people
To find if a library near you has the item search Trove.
Are there any online resources for Indigenous Australian Astronomy?
There are a number of free websites and subscription databases containing online material, some full-text, for Indigenous Australian Astronomy. Highlights include:
- Australian Aboriginal Astronomy
- Australian Indigenous Astronomy
- When Giant Fish Leaves the Sky it is time to travel
- Torres Strait Islander Constellations
- Aboriginal Astronomy
- Stories in the sky Museum Victoria
- Through our Eyes – Dhinawan (Emu) in the Sky
- Before Galileo
- Upload your own stories
Didn't find the answer? Contact us
GPO Box 553, Canberra, ACT 2601
P: +61 2 6246 1182