To ensure a transparent and compliant process, AIATSIS has engaged the Australian Election Company to conduct an electronic election. Australian Election Company derives count results in accordance with governance. They are a different company to the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) and have significant experience not only in online/electronic voting, but also in Indigenous organisation elections. For example, conducting elections for Queensland Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Councils, and successfully delivering every Chairperson Chamber Delegates Election for the National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples Election.
Internet Voting is conducted through a secure website. Declaration Postal voting includes the dispatch of voting materials and postal return validation. The count of accepted Postal Votes, by manual or data keying (keying and verification) of “admitted” ballot papers is in strict accordance with the AIATSIS governance.
Management and conduct of a board election
- Australian Election Company will conduct a Councillor Election in accordance with the AIATSIS Rules and agreed requirements.
- Australian Election Company is the Returning Officer and associated personnel project manage and facilitate all Election arrangements.
- Australian Election Company administers the nominations processes of the Election, in accordance with applicable governance.
- Australian Election Company arranges Internet Voting set up and testing.
- The database must be certified in writing by the relevant AIATSIS delegate.
- They provide a comprehensive FAQ document for every electronic Ballot, which will be posted on the Internet once they Ballot opens.
- For every Ballot (or Election), they provide a formal email and Telephone Help Desk Service that operates throughout the currency of any Ballot, Protected Action Ballot (or Election);
- They provide comprehensive Ballot reporting, that sets the Industry standard;
- They ensure processes and outcomes are accurate, independent, fair and equitable, are delivered timely and demonstrate integrity and security.
Confidentiality / privacy of information
Australian Election Company is committed to protecting your privacy and that of your members. Australian Election Company will safeguard all information provided and prevent its disclosure to any outside party. In terms of general confidentiality/privacy, Australian Election Company is bound by Privacy legislation and general commercial confidentiality. Australian Election Company is committed to complying with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) and the Commonwealth Privacy Act, 1988. Australian Election Company has met the stringent data security requirements of the Australian Taxation Office.
Nomination Period opens 20 February and closes 13 March 2017
Ballot Period opens 27 March and closes 10 April 2017