Thank you for your interest in working at AIATSIS. Before submitting your application, please read the information below as it will assist you in completing your application.
- Read the selection documentation carefully. This will consist of the duty statement, selection criteria and other information about the position. This information will give you an understanding of the sort of work involved and AIATSIS’ expectations of the person who will eventually fill the position.
- If you have questions about the position or require further information, contact the contact officer listed in the position documentation.
- Your application MUST address the selection criteria. All applications will be assessed in relation to the selection criteria and if you don't address them in your application you may be assessed as unsuitable for the position.
- All positions within AIATSIS are Identified Positions meaning all employees must display cultural competence. It is critical you address criterion one as this criterion carries more weight than the other criteria.
- Some positions may be advertised as a Special Measures position. This means that only Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people may apply for the position. Applicants may be required to provide of proof of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent. There are a number of resources to assist you to confirm your Indigenous heritage:
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies - Aboriginality and identity
- Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations
- National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation.
- If you are unfamiliar with applying for jobs in the Australian Public Service, the following Australian Public Service Commission resource may be useful – Cracking the Code: How to apply for jobs in the Australian Public Service
- You should also familiarise yourself with the APS Code of Conduct and APS Values. Successful applicants will be required to abide by the Code of Conduct and Values. For those without internet access a copy of the Code of Conduct and Values will be sent to you with the selection documentation.
- If you are unfamiliar with AIATSIS and our employment conditions, read about the Institute on this website and consult our current Enterprise Agreement 2012 – 2014 . For those without internet access, a brochure will be included with the selection documentation or you can call 02 6246 1111 and ask to speak with the HR Manager to request a copy of the Enterprise Agreement.
- Before you submit your application, it is a good idea to get another person to read through it. You need to make sure that it convincingly explains your claims against the selection criteria, covers what you have actually done, and provides evidence of your suitability for the position. It needs to be clear, accurate and concise and the information you have supplied needs to be relevant to this.
- Your application should also include a resume or curriculum vitae setting out your qualifications, education, work history and other details which you think are relevant to the position.
- You must include the name and contact details of 2 referees (there is provision for this in the application cover sheet). It is preferred that one of the referees is your current supervisor. A referee should be able to provide comments on your work performance against the selection criteria.
- You may be required to provide written referee reports with your application or at interview. If they are required with your application, this will be specified in the job advertisement. The Referee Report Form must be used for written referee reports. For those without internet access the Referee Report Form will be sent to you with the selection documentation
- You must complete the application cover sheet and include it with your application. Send your application to:
Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
GPO Box 553
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Or email: email@example.com
If your application arrives late it may not be accepted. If you find that you have difficulty meeting the closing date, please contact the contact officer before the closing date and discuss your reasons for the delay. Receipt of your application will be acknowledged.
Our Vision: A world in which all Indigenous peoples’ knowledge and cultures are recognised, respected and valued.
AIATSIS values a skilled and diverse workforce to meet the needs of the organisation. AIATSIS recognises the valuable role of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and non-Indigenous people in the promotion of knowledge and understanding of Australian Indigenous cultures, past and present.
Our vision is reflected in our selection documentation. To assist you in your understanding of AIATSIS’ business we encourage you to visit the AIATSIS website at www.aiatsis.gov.au. For those without internet access, an AIATSIS brochure will be sent to you with the selection documentation.
The selection process
Selection is based on merit and the selection process may include an assessment of your written application, an interview and referee comments. However the selection methods may vary. Other methods may include a written or work sample test.
If you are uncertain of the progress of your application, please phone or email the contact officer for an update.
We are located on Lawson Crescent, Acton. Interviews are generally conducted on site in one of our meeting rooms or offices.
Selection panels at AIATSIS are generally 3 people. Each selection panel has at least one Indigenous person, one male and one female. Some panels also use the services of a scribe.
After a selection report has been approved, the successful applicant will be notified. All other applicants will be advised that they have been unsuccessful and you will be provided with the contact details of the Chair of the selection panel, whom you can contact if you wish to discuss your individual assessment or application.