The AIATSIS Mabo Room is a small space available for meeting and function bookings from 9am to 5pm daily.
We also offer additional services that may enhance your function including:
- Audio and video recording (limited availability)
- Conference calling - Polycom IP6000 phone or Skype connectivity
- Single camera videoconference facilities - Polycom HDX8000 HiDef IP connection
- Networked and internet connected computer via Wireless Network (AIA-GUEST or AIA-BYOD) with your own laptop
If you wish to know more about AIATSIS, we do offer one-hour group tours for a maximum of 15 people per group. Please note tour availability may be limited.
About the Mabo Room
The Mabo room is named after Eddie Koiki Mabo. Eddie, a Meriam man from the island of Mer (Murray Island) in the Torres Straits, was a key plaintiff in a land rights case in the High Court of Australia, today referred to as the ‘Mabo Case’. The case altered the foundation of land law in Australia. After the Mabo case was handed down, the Native Title Act 1993 was passed through the Australian Parliament.
51 Lawson Crescent, Acton Peninsula, Acton ACT 2601
- Dimensions and capacity: Approximately 127 square metres
- Theatre style seats 80 comfortably and up to 100 people
- Workshop style seats up to 50
- Kitchen (for preparation only, no cooking facilities)
- Paid parking
- 14 folding tables
- 80 chairs
- Data projectors
- 2 wireless microphones
- DVD/CD playback
- Hearing loop
- Daily rate $550 (including GST)
- Minimum charge $330 (including GST)
- Damage deposit $330 (including GST)
- Minimum charge will apply if cancellation is made less than 24 hours before function
*Room rates includes use of the room, foyer and kitchen facilities during normal working hours which are 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday with the exception of public holidays.
Please note the Mabo Room will open at 9am sharp and not prior.
Catering can be set up and consumed in the Mabo Room. AIATSIS does not provide catering in-house so you will need to make arrangements with your preferred catering company separately to booking the Mabo Room.
Booking terms and conditions
Acknowledgement of country
At the opening of each function you will need to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land on which AIATSIS is situated.
Any form of entertainment and their performance requirements are to be authorised by AIATSIS.
- All displays will need to be approved by AIATSIS.
- Any displays should be tasteful, culturally sensitive and not damage property or surfaces.
- Artwork on display in the Mabo Room cannot be touched or moved.
- Live foliage including potted plants are not permitted.
Partnering with AIATSIS
- Involvement from AIATSIS in your event or function is limited to provision of the meeting space only unless additional services are requested.
- AIATSIS branding may not be used or associated with your event unless permission is sought in advance and approval is granted in writing.
- AIATSIS will consider applications for in kind support of your event which may include waiving of room hire fees. Please supply additional information outlining your case for support with your booking enquiry.
For all other enquiries please contact Public Progams.